Have you ever noticed that one of the most amazing moments is when one of your prospects comes to the conclusion that they want to buy? What a terrific feeling to know that they are in agreement that your recommendations are the solutions to their financial challenges.
At some point in your career you will realize that prospects and clients alike enjoy talking about themselves. And why shouldn’t they? It’s a subject that they are very familiar with. During these moments of revelation, you may make a realization that they have a real challenge and that you have the solution. However, just telling them this is not an effective strategy to making a good connection.
A method that may be helpful to close a sale or secure setting an appointment is one I call “The Agreement Close.” In order to utilize this tactic, you must know the steps to get a prospect to that point by using the following steps:
1. The Prospect’s Key Closing Phrase: One of the most important things to remember when using The Agreement Close is to know when to begin. The prospect will unknowingly tell you when that is by making a statement or using a phrase that indicates they are a little lost, frustrated or unsure about something you know you can help them with. The following is an example:
Prospect: “I’m not really sure how I’m doing with my portfolio.
2. Empathy/ Acknowledgement: At this point, just taking the time to empathize or even acknowledging what they said can go a long way in building a connection because it helps the prospect know that you truly and genuinely understand. Try something as simple as this:
Adviser: “I completely understand; most people don’t know how their portfolio is doing.”
3. Agreement Close: Next, we need to strengthen the connection by agreeing with them. This is a very important step because the prospect will find it very difficult to disagree with you for agreeing with them. The following is an example:
Adviser: “And, that’s exactly why we should get together.”
4. Benefit Statements: At this point, you need to add to the statement above and clarify why you said what you said so that the prospect understands what the benefits are to them. Once you do, they will soon be agreeing with you. Here is a brief example:
Adviser: “You don’t want to realize that you are taking too much risk after the market goes down and you lose a lot of money.”
5. Final Close: All you need to do now is ask for the order. Try this alternative close:
Adviser: “Do you have time to meet Tuesday at 3:00 or Wednesday at 4:00, which time works better for you?”
Prospect: “Tuesday at 3:00.”
Why The Agreement Close Works
The reason why The Agreement Close works is because you are agreeing with the prospect and explaining to them how moving forward with you will help them most. In other words, you are acknowledging their challenge, agreeing that it is a valid challenge and that is exactly why they need your solutions.
To learn more about The Agreement Close, schedule a complimentary 30-minute coaching session with me by emailing Melissa Denham, director of client servicing, at Melissa@advisorsolutionsinc.com.
Daniel C. Finley
St. Paul, Minn.