As an adviser, your website is one of the most essential marketing tools and is likely the only member of your team working 24/7 to represent your brand. Determining its focus and direction should be the cornerstone of your firm’s online marketing strategy. You can bet that your target market is looking for you online. Make sure they find you, as well as find answers to all of their questions about your firm.
So, what do people do on the Internet? The majority of web users are seeking information. To give your website a chance, focus on its visitors’ intentions. What information are they looking for, and how can you help them find it? Focus on making your website easily navigable and chock-full of answers.
Most advisers feel they need a website to validate their firm and provide legitimacy to the organization—and that’s true! But when visitors arrive to your company’s site, they’ll want to know more than whether or not you exist. In fact, they’ll want to know a lot more. Many of these questions are answered within the subconscious. (Is this company good or bad? Trustworthy? Credible?) And many of these questions are answered rather quickly. In 2012, a research team from Carlton University discovered that people make a decision about the appeal of a website in only 50 milliseconds—that’s 50/1,000 of one second!
The bottom line is, you have very little time to win over web visitors. Here is a list of 21 questions that web visitors want answered when they arrive to your website. Make sure answers to these questions can be found easily and quickly. A good rule of thumb is to have answers to the following questions answered within three clicks of entering your site.
- Am I in the right place?
- Is this company real?
- Is it credible?
- Is this website up-to-date?
- Is it trustworthy? Why should I trust the people who work here?
- Is this a professional company?
- Is this company stable?
- Does this site make me feel welcome?
- Is the navigation easy to find and use?
- Can I find the information I’m looking for?
- Is this company affiliated with other financial institutions?
- Does this company have a physical location? Where is it?
- How many people work here? Is the team large enough to fulfill my needs?
- What is the company culture like?
- How is this firm different than the last firm I looked into?
- What is it like to work with your company?
- How do other people feel about this company?
- Why should I spend money here?
- How can you help me?
- I’m not ready to make a decision, but I want to stay in touch. Can I subscribe to a blog or newsletter?
- What should I do next?
Vancouver, British Columbia